Spanish Sausage And Lentil SoupFrom crainny 5 years ago
- 1 tbsp butter or oil, up to you shopping list
- 4-5 chorizo sausages in natural casings, chunked into 4 pieces each shopping list
- 2 carrots, diced shopping list
- 2 onions, diced shopping list
- 2-3 stalks celery, diced shopping list
- 2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed shopping list
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups mixed whole lentils, I used french, green, and mung beans (yep, I am that crazy) shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- a few stalks of parsley shopping list
- 2 sprigs of thyme shopping list
- 20 whole black peppercorns, crushed shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cummin shopping list
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 tbsp vinegar to finish shopping list
How to make it
- Melt butter in a dutch oven
- Toss in the sausage chunks and brown on all sides lightly
- Add carrots, onions and celery, saute until fragrant and onions are translucent
- Add about 6-8 cups of water
- Add potatoes and lentils, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer
- Add herbs and spices, salt to taste.
- Cook at least 2 hrs very slowly, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- If necessary, add some water.
- The soup won't look very appealing in the first hour, once it develops flavor and lentils cook through, it will become beautiful.
- When flavors blend well and soup becomes rich in color and taste, add minced garlic, simmer for about 10 more minutes.
- Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf at this point.
- Remove from the heat, add vinegar and freshly chopped parsley.
- Cover and let sit for a few minutes to finish the flavor development.
The Cookcrainny Prattville, AL
- Not added to any groups yet!