Split Pea And Barley SoupFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 1 pkg dry split peas, rinsed and drained shopping list
- 1 cup barley shopping list
- 1 medium onion fine chopped shopping list
- 1 large carrot diced or sliced thin shopping list
- 2 stalks of celery fine chopped shopping list
- 1 large garlic clove minced shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 8- 10 cups of water, vegetable broth or chicken broth as desired for consistency of soup shopping list
- salt, pepper, dried thyme to taste shopping list
- smoked paprika powder optional for an extra zing and smokey flavor shopping list
- optional: several frankfurters cut into circles if you like that in the soup shopping list
How to make it
- I place everything in a crock pot and cook low about 6 hours or about 4 hours on high. Likewise this can be made on a stove top in a pot on low simmer, partially covered and cooked until peas and barley, veges are tender.
- Optional: puree a partial quantity of the soup and mix in remainder of soup. We enjoy that consistency
- Note: soup gets thicker with chilling in the refrigerator and of course flavor improves with age.