Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Caramel SauceFrom luisascatering 2 years ago
- For the pumpkin bread pudding: shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1 cup half & half shopping list
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed shopping list
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 3 large organic eggs shopping list
- 3 large organic egg yolks shopping list
- 2 cups pumpkin puree, fresh shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice shopping list
- 6 1-inch-thick slices of brioche Simple Brioche Loaf or challah, cut into cubes shopping list
- ~ shopping list
- For caramel: shopping list
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, warmed shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature shopping list
- pinch of fleur de sel shopping list
How to make it
- For bread pudding:
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly butter a 9x11 baking pan.
- Combine creams, eggs, sugars, pumpkin and spices in a large mixing bowl with a whisk. Place the brioche cubes in another large bowl and pour pumpkin mixture over tham, tossing gently to combine until almost all liguid is absorbed. Pour into prepared baking pan and place into a larger roasting pan, with enough boiling water to come up halfway sides of the baking pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until custard is set.
- for caramel:
- Combine the sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan and stir in the water. Set over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Then adjust the heat as necessary to continue simmering. Cook without stirring, for 30 to 35 minutes, until the caramel is a rich amber color. If you want to check the color, use a small spoon to drop a small amount on a white plate. (You want a dark caramel so the finished sauce will be a rich color.) Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the cream, being careful because the mixture will bubble up. If the sauce seizes, stir it over the heat to slowly remelt any hardened caramel. Whisk in the butter.
- to serve: cut bread pudding into cubes and spoon warm caramel sauce over each serving. We also served ours with vanilla bean ice cream.