Savannah Seafood GumboFrom sweetstacia 2 years ago
- 1/4 cup oil shopping list
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cups onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup celery, diced shopping list
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 4 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chicken base shopping list
- 3 cups water shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried basil shopping list
- 1/3 cup dried parsley shopping list
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 2 teaspoons House seasoning, recipe follows shopping list
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes seasoned with garlic, basil, and oregano or 2 cups fresh diced tomatoes shopping list
- 4 cups sliced Cajun-style fresh link sausage shopping list
- 4 cups cut okra (fresh or frozen) shopping list
- 2 cups oysters and liquor shopping list
- 1/2 pound crabmeat shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh peeled shrimp shopping list
- file powder shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pot combine oil and flour.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the roux has browned to a light chocolate color.
- Add onion, pepper, celery and garlic. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add chicken broth, and chicken base, stirring as you go. Add water, bay leaves, thyme, basil, parsley, lemon pepper, cayenne pepper, House Seasoning, soy sauce and tomatoes.
- Cut sausage into 1/2-inch pieces. Add to pot along with okra.
- Cover pot and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add oysters, crabmeat, shrimp and scallops.
- Simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Serve over hot buttered rice. Sprinkle with file powder on top of bowl and stir in.
- Tip: Add file powder after putting gumbo into individual serving bowls. Adding file into the pot will make the gumbo too thick as File powder acts as a thickening agent.
- House Seasoning:
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cooksweetstacia Hutto, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!