French Onion SoupFrom mbouchersr 1 year ago
- 1/4 c. butter shopping list
- 2 lbs Sweet onions peeled and sliced thin shopping list
- 2 tsp. sugar shopping list
- pinch of salt and pepper shopping list
- 1 1/2 tbsp. flour shopping list
- 1 tsp. dried thyme shopping list
- 7 c. beef broth shopping list
- 1/2 dry white wine shopping list
- 6 - 1 inch slices of French bread shopping list
- 2 tbsp. olive oil shopping list
- 2 c. grated gruyere cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over moderate heat
- stir in onions and add the sugar cook uncovered over low heat stirring occasionally for 20 to 30 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes
- pour in stock and stir to blend flour
- add salt, pepper and thyme and return to low heat
- simmer partially covered for 30 to 40 minutes.
- allow the soup to stand while you prepare the french bread
- preheat oven to 325
- lightly brush olive oil on all sides of bread
- bake for 15 minutes and turn for another 15 minutes, bread should be dry and slightly browned.
- skim fat off the soup
- ladle soup into bowls
- add bread to the soup and sprinkle with grated cheese
- place in hot oven and bake for 10 to 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly
The Cookmbouchersr Lewiston, Maine
- Not added to any groups yet!