Tv Guide Red Velvet CakeFrom jo_jo_ba 4 years ago
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup shortening shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1 tbsp vanilla shopping list
- 2 tbsp red food colouring shopping list
- 3 tbsp hot coffee shopping list
- 4 tbsp cocoa shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp sea salt shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 tbsp white vinegar shopping list
- 1 tsp baking soda shopping list
Frosting / Filling (makes more than you technically need, but pile it on - it is SO worth it):
- 12 oz cream cheese (I used a mixture of low-fat and regular), softened shopping list
- 1/4 cup shortening shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1/4 tsp sea salt shopping list
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease two 9" round pans.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar with shortening.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- Make a paste of the food colouring, coffee and cocoa, add to above mixture.
- Mix in half the flour and salt, then stir in buttermilk.
- Beat in the remaining flour.
- Mix vinegar and baking soda to combine well (it will foam, if it doesn't, you need new baking soda!). Add to the batter and blend well.
- Bake 30 minutes. Cool completely and refrigerate 2 hours before filling and frosting.
Frosting / Filling:
- Beat cream cheese, shortening, vanilla and salt together until well blended.
- Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar until it's all incorporated.
- Place one cake round on a serving plate and cover with a thick layer of freshly made (so it's soft) frosting.
- Place the second cake round on top and coat with a thin layer of frosting (i.e. the "crumb coat"). Chill until firm.
- Finish frosting the cake and decorate as desired.