Thai Shrimp CongeeFrom sm8085 4 years ago
- 8 cups chicken/vegetable broth shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups rice soaked for an hour at least (don’t soak for more than 4 hours) shopping list
- 1/2 to 1 cup small shrimp OR shredded chicken shopping list
- 1 inch galangal/ginger, finely grated shopping list
- handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped shopping list
- 1/2 to 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped shopping list
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced shopping list
- 1 to 3 Tbsp. fish sauce or to taste shopping list
- TO SERVE: shopping list
- optional: fresh red chillies, sliced shopping list
- Thai red chilli sauce shopping list
- soy sauce shopping list
- sesame oil shopping list
- chopped peanuts shopping list
- pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Bring broth and rice to a boil. When the rice swells, turn the heat to medium low, and continue cooking for an hour. Add more broth if necessary.
- Add prawns for the last 5 to 10 minutes (or shredded chicken).
- If the soup becomes too thick, add a little more broth.
- Add fish sauce plus the ginger/galangal, and stir.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with fresh cilantro, basil, and spring onion.
- Serve with pepper and the remaining condiments.