Five Sister's Italian Gravy With SausageFrom sheilabetsy 4 years ago
- 1 pound italian sausage shopping list
- 1 pork Braciole, optional shopping list
- 4 tablespoon good olive oil shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 3 - 28 ounce cans whole tomatoes, blended shopping list
- 1 - 6 ounce can of tomato paste shopping list
- 2 teaspoons sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoon White ground pepper - no substitutes! shopping list
- One red skinny Mexican chili pepper - do not break! shopping list
- Five Sister's meatballs, if desired shopping list
How to make it
- Brown sausage and braciole on both sides in a large saucepan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- In a large pot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and garlic and simmer over medium-low heat. Do not burn the garlic!
- Add the paste, tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper to the pot. The sugar helps to take the acid out of the tomatoes.
- Transfer sausage and Braciole to the tomatoes. Place the hot pepper in pot. and cook for 1-1/2hours.
- If using Five Sister's Meatballs add them after one hour and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Braciole should cook for a total of 1-1/2 hours before serving.
- Slice Braciole into 4-6 pieces and serve with gravy spooned over top.
- Serve gravy and meatballs with your favorite pasta and enjoy!
- Hint: For optimal flavor, refrigerate gravy overnight before serving and reheat the following day. Can also be frozen to use later.
The Cooksheilabetsy Brick, New Jersey
- Not added to any groups yet!