Vegetarian Stuffed Grape Leave (dolmades)From mikku 4 years ago
- 1 cup long grain white rice shopping list
- 1 medium onion, minced shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh minced mint shopping list
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided shopping list
- 2 3/4 cups of water shopping list
- 50 large grape leaves (jarred) shopping list
- Pinch of salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp coriander shopping list
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided shopping list
- 1 big lemon slices shopping list
- fresh mint leaves, lemon slices, and tomato slices (for garnish - optional) shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Wash the grape leaves with cold water. Drain and pat them dry.
- 2. Pour ¼ cup of olive oil into a medium pot and heat it over medium. Add minced onion to the pot and saute until soft. Add the rice to the pot and stir to combine. Sauté for another minute. Add the spices and mint. Pour in ¾ cup water and lower the heat; simmer the rice uncovered for about 10 minutes till the liquid is absorbed and the rice is half cooked. Add 1/4 cup of lemon juice Do not cook the rice fully. Let it cool.
- 3. Place a grape leaf shiny (smooth) side down, vein (bumpy) side up, on a flat surface like a cutting board. Place 2 tbsp of rice filling at the base end of the leaf, near where the stem was See Photo. Fold the stem end up over the filling See Photo. Fold the edges of the leaf inward See Photo. Continue rolling the leaf till it forms a neat rolled package See Photo. Do not roll too tightly.
- 4.As you roll the leaves, you may find some leaves that are damaged or have large holes. Place those leaves into the bottom of your cooking pot to line it and create a bed for the stuffed leaves. Place the stuffed leaves in the bottom of the saute pan. Make layers. Place Lemon slices in between the layers. See Photo
- 5.Pour 2 cup of water, ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil, and ¼ cup of fresh lemon juice over the stuffed grape leaves. Place an inverted heat-safe plate on top of the stuffed grape leaves to weigh them down and keep them secure as they cook. See Photo
- 6.Heat the pan over medium until it begins to simmer (don’t boil, or the leaves will start to fall apart). Turn heat to low, so the leaves are slowly simmering, Cover the pot and let it cook for 40 min.The leaves are finished cooking when they are fork-tender.
- 7. It can be served warm or cold. Bonne petit!
The Cookmikku Jeddah, Jeddah
- Not added to any groups yet!