Apple Pear Ginger PieFrom doreenfish 2 years ago
- 7 c apples and pears peeled and sliced...i did half and shopping list
- half shopping list
- - 1/2 c sugar shopping list
- - 1/4 c brown sugar lightly packed shopping list
- - 2 Tbsp a p flour shopping list
- - 1/2 tsp ground ginger shopping list
- - 1 tsp grated lemon peel shopping list
- - 1/2 c candied ginger chopped fine shopping list
- - 3/4 c chopped walnuts...more or less...u can use pecans shopping list
- too shopping list
- - pinch of salt shopping list
- - 1 Tbsp lemon juice shopping list
- - 1 Tbsp butter shopping list
- DOUBLE pie crust shopping list
- - 2 c ap flour..i used organic ap unbleached shopping list
- - 3/4 tsp salt shopping list
- - 1 c shortening...i use earth balance shopping list
- - 1 lg egg shopping list
- - 2 Tbsp cold water shopping list
- - 1 Tbsp white vinegar shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Make your favorite double pie recipe or use mine. Divide pastry in half Roll out your bottom pastry and line a 9 inch pie plate. Sprinkle your chopped nuts and candied ginger over the crust. Mix your peeled apples and pears together in a large bowl. Set aside. In a small bowl mix the sugars, flour, lemon peel ,ground ginger & salt.Mix with prepared fruit and turn into your pie plate covering the candies ginger and nuts. Sprinkle the filling with the lemon juice and dot with the tbsp of butter. Cover with top crust. Seal edges and prick or slit top all over for steam to escape. Bake at 450 for for 15 mins. Reduce heat to 350 and continue baking 40 to 45 until golden brown and fruit is bubbling through slits.
- Cool and enjoy!! We had organic vanilla yogurt on top!! Yummy!!
- Double Pastry: Combine flour and salt. Cut in room temperature shortening until it resembles peas. Beat egg, water and vinegar together. Add to flour and mix with a fork until mixture is moistened. DO NOT OVERWORK. It will make it tough. Divide dough in half and shape each in a ball. I always put a sheet of wax paper on my counter , put the dough in the middle, cover with another sheet of wax paper and roll out. I remove the top layer of wax paper, flip the crust over into the pie plate and peel off the wax paper. Discard. Repeat for top crust.
The Cookdoreenfish Thessalon, Canada
- Not added to any groups yet!