Fried Cheese GritsFrom sara 4 years ago
- for the grits: shopping list
- 2/3 cup Quaker Quick grits (not instant) shopping list
- 2 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded shopping list
- garlic powder, dash shopping list
- salt & pepper, to taste shopping list
- for the frying: shopping list
- canola oil shopping list
- panko breadcrumbs shopping list
How to make it
- Bring water to a boil and stir in grits slowly. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook about 12 minutes, or until thick, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper, stirring to melt the cheese. These should be thick (more so than regular grits), but still thin enough to spread in the brownie pan. If you need to thin them out a bit, just stir in some hot water (only a little!) until you’re happy with them.
- Next, spread the grits evenly in the parchment-lined brownie pan. They should end up about ¾ inch thick. Cover this and refrigerate until firm, about an hour.
- Lift the refrigerated grits out of the brownie pan with the help of the parchment. They’ll be firm and cuttable by now.
- Cut into 3” x 3” squares, and then half those diagonally to make triangles. Dredge in breadcrumbs and fry in about ½ inch oil, a minute or two on each side. Remove when they’re brown and crispy and drain on wire rack.