Lentil LasagnaFrom takopoly 1 year ago
For the lentils
- 1 cup dry lentils de puy shopping list
- 1 small carrot shopping list
- 1/2 an onion shopping list
- 1 stalk celery shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- salt & pepper (to season) shopping list
For the bolognese
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 carrot, diced shopping list
- 1 stalk celery, diced shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 28 ounces canned Italian tomatoes, whole shopping list
- 4 oz tomato paste shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil shopping list
- 1 tsp dried oregano shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram shopping list
- 1/2 cup chicken, beef, mushroom or vegetable stock shopping list
- 1/2 cup red wine shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp pepper shopping list
- 2 tbsp butter (optional) shopping list
- 1/4 cup cream or milk (optional) shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped shopping list
For the bechamel sauce
- 1/3 cup butter (you can use less if you're virtuous, but sometimes you just need to suck it up and use the damn butter) shopping list
- 1/2 cup flour shopping list
- 3 cups skim milk shopping list
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg shopping list
- salt & pepper shopping list
- 1 egg at room temperature shopping list
For the spinach-ricotta layer
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach (or two packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained) shopping list
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 2 tbsp parmesan, romano or asiago, grated shopping list
- salt & pepper shopping list
- zest of 1/2 lemon shopping list
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional) shopping list
- fresh basil, sliced, to taste (optional) shopping list
For the cheese
- 2-3 cups grated mozzarella, fontina or provolone shopping list
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan, romano or asiago shopping list
For the pasta
- 8-10 fresh lasagna sheets shopping list
- OR shopping list
- About 1/2 box of dry lasagna noodles shopping list
How to make it
Pre-cooking the lentils
- Rinse lentils; Place in pot
- Add 1/2 onion, carrot (chop in half), celery (chop in half) and 2 bay leaves.
- Cover with water (about 1 inch above lentils). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes, until most of the water is gone.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Turn off heat, remove veg and bay leaves. You'll add them to the Bolognese sauce later.
- Heat oil in large pot. Add veggies and garlic and sweat veggies for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, stock and red wine; season with salt & pepper.
- Cook on low-medium for about 20-30 minutes, then add lentils and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Sauce should be well-reduced and thick.
- Add butter and cream and stir, then turn off heat.
- Stir in chopped parsley.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes (to get rid of the raw flour taste). Whisk in milk
- Season with nutmeg and s&p.
- Bring to a gentle boil and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Let cool slightly, then stir in the egg. Set aside
- Stir fresh and thawed spinach (if using) with the ricotta and egg.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste
- Add zest, almonds and basil (if using)
- Stir, then season to taste. Set aside
- For fresh pasta, lightly parboil sheets for about 1 minute; drain on drying rack or use immediately.
- For dried paste, boil in salted water for 2-3 minutes and use immediately.
- n a large lasagna pan, spread a thin layer of Bechamel. Top with pasta sheets, then smear all of the spinach mixture on top. Spread some Bechamel over the spinach, and sprinkle with a bit of mozzarella. Top with a layer of pasta sheets, then about 1/2 to 2/3 of the Bolognese (If you want more pasta just do a couple more layers). Sprinkle some mozza over the Bolognese. Top with pasta sheets, remainder of Bolognese and then the rest of the Bechamel, smearing together so they blend. Sprinkle remainder of mozza on top, then the parmesan. Bake at 375 for about 30-35 minutes. Top should be golden-brown. Let cool slightly before cutting up.
The Cooktakopoly Victoria, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!