Lisa's Roasted Tomato Salad With Israeli CouscousFrom markinpowa 3 years ago
- 1 cup Israeli couscous shopping list
- 2 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds cherry tomatoes, sliced in half shopping list
- 1 large purple onion, chopped into large chunks shopping list
- 3-4 cloves garlic, unpeeled shopping list
- 3 Tbs fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 2 Tbs olive oil (the best you have) shopping list
- salt, to taste shopping list
- pepper, to taste shopping list
- kalamata olives (about 1/2 cup or so, chopped) shopping list
- feta cheese, crumbled (2-4 oz. should do it) shopping list
- fresh basil, finely shredded (chiffonnaded?) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spread the onions and tomatoes on a large, foil-lined baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, then drizzle the olive oil over everything. Toss to coat, then place the garlic cloves in a corner of the sheet.
- Place the sheet in the oven and set the timer for an hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the couscous by placing it in a saucepan with the chicken stock. Simmer for 7-8 minutes until the stock is absorbed and the couscous is al denté. Rinse the couscous in cold water to stop the cooking and set aside to drain.
- Keep an eye on the roasting veggies, especially when your whole kitchen starts to smell like heaven. You want the tomatoes to reduce and dry somewhat, and you want the onions to wilt and brown a little, but not burn. Count on this taking an hour or so.
- Take the sheet out of the oven and let everything cool off. When it gets to room-ish temperature, it's time to make the dressing.
- Squeeze the flesh of the garlic cloves into a food processor or blender. Add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the tomato/onion mixture, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and a touch of olive oil if you wish. Whir away until it's a smooth, orange-y mass.
- Mix the remaining tomato/onion batch with the couscous and toss. Add the Kalamatas, feta, and basil. Pour the dressing over the top, toss, adjust seasonings, and enjoy! Looks great, tastes yummy! Serve at room temp or chilled.
The Cookmarkinpowa Nowhere, Us
- Not added to any groups yet!