Simple Thai-style ShrimpFrom markinpowa 4 years ago
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled shopping list
- 1-in. piece of ginger root, roughly cut shopping list
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded if you like it milder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric shopping list
- 1-2 Tbs canola or other oil shopping list
- 1 cup diced onion shopping list
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced OR 1 14-oz. can chopped tomatoes, partly drained shopping list
- 1 cup coconut milk ("lite" works fine) shopping list
- 1 lb. shrimp (any size), peeled and deveined shopping list
- 3 Tbs chopped basil leaves (can't have too much basil, IMHO) shopping list
- lime wedges shopping list
How to make it
- Place the first five ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until you have a smooth paste See Photo. You may want to add a bit of oil to facilitate this.
- Heat a skillet to medium and add some oil See Photo. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the blended ingredients and stir for a minute or so. See Photo
- Stir in the tomatoes and coconut milk, bring to a simmer, and cook until the sauce thickens a bit. See Photo
- Add the shrimp and cook a minute or two past when they turn pink. See Photo
- Throw in the chopped basil, taste the sauce, and adjust seasonings to your taste See Photo. Add more basil at the table, if you wish, and serve with lime wedges.
- NOTE: If you have trouble blending the sauce into a smooth paste, add a little water or juice from the tomatoes to increase the volume. I find that a blender works better than a processor for this recipe. Use what you have.
The Cookmarkinpowa Nowhere, Us
- Not added to any groups yet!