Smothered Okra With ShrimpFrom shibattou 4 years ago
- 1/4 cup olive oil shopping list
- 3 cups chopped onion shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped celery shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 tsp. black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme shopping list
- 1 tsp. flour, all purpose shopping list
- 1 Tbl. minced garlic shopping list
- 1 bay leaf, crushed shopping list
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 2 pounds sliced okra, fresh or frozen shopping list
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, about 50-60 count shopping list
How to make it
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add chopped onion and celery. Saute, stirring often, about 10 minutes or until onions have browned.
- Combine salt, pepper(s), thyme and flour.
- Sprinkle flour mixture onto browned onions.
- Add the garlic and bay leaf. Stir and cook about a minute.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and white wine, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Place okra in the slow cooker. Pour contents of the skillet over the okra and stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until okra is tender but still holds it's shape.
- Stir in the peeled shrimp and cook on LOW for one additional hour.
- Serve over hot steamed rice.