Old Fashioned Strawberry ShortcakeFrom sjbenoist 2 years ago
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries shopping list
- 1/4 Cup sugar shopping list
- 2 Cups flour shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 3/4 Teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 Teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1.5 Cups heavy cream or Half & Half shopping list
- OPTIONAL 1 Stick butter (or less), cold shopping list
- Plenty of whip cream shopping list
How to make it
- Wash the strawberries and remove the leafy green section. Slice them thin, about 1/4" - 1/8". Place them in a bowl and toss them with the sugar.
- NOTE: You should use between 2 Tbs and 4 Tbs depending on how sweet your strawberries are and your personal taste.
- Let sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes. You can bake the biscuits while you wait :)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Mix all your dry ingredients well (Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, & Salt).
- If you are using the optional butter, "cut" the butter into the dry mixture by crisscrossing two knives repeatedly, or by using a pastry cutter. You want the chunks to be about the size of peas.
- Add the Heavy Cream (or Half & Half), and stir just until the liquid is absorbed/everything is combined. Dough should be very dry & "rough" looking.
- Spoon dough into 6 equal mounds on ungreased cooking sheet. Shape mounds into rounds or squares, no more than about 1" thick.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes, until golden brown. Careful, it is easy to overcook/burn, especially if you used the butter option.
- Let the biscuits cool in the pan and on a rack for a couple of minutes, then remove them so that they do not stick. May be served now or later.
- Slice a biscuit in half (top/bottom), and place the bottom half in a bowl. Pour some of the strawberry juice that has formed in your bowl over the dry biscuit, then mound some strawberry slices. Top with Whip Cream (to taste).
- Now place the top half of your biscuit on the whip cream, upside down (so the inside part of the biscuit is facing upward). Add more strawberries and Whip Cream.
The Cooksjbenoist Saint Charles, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!