Apple CrostadaFrom valinkenmore 1 year ago
- Crust: shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 2 golden delicious apples, peeled, halved, cored, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices shopping list
- 1 McIntosh apple, peeled, halved, cored, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices shopping list
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar shopping list
- 1/4 teas. cinnamon shopping list
- 1/8 teas. freshly ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1 large egg white beaten with 1 tablespoon of water (for egg wash) shopping list
- vanilla ice cream (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- To make the crust: Mix the flour, sugar, and salt in a processor. Add the butter. Pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the ice water and pulse until moist clumps form. Gather the dough into a ball; flatten into a disk. (If the dough still crumbles and does not form into a ball, add another tablespoon of ice water.) Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- For the filling: Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the apples, 1/4 cup of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice in large bowl; toss gently to blend. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dust a large sheet of parchment paper with flour and roll out the dough on the paper to an 11-inch round. Transfer the dough on the parchment paper to a heavy large baking sheet. Spoon the apple mixture over the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the dough border over the filling to form an 8-inch round, leaving the apples exposed in the center. Pleat loosely and pinch the dough to seal any cracks. Brush the crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake the crostada until the crust is golden and the apples are tender, about 40 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a rack; cool for 10 minutes. Slide a metal spatula under the crust to free the crostada from the baking sheet. Cool the crostada to lukewarm. Serve at room temperature. Vanilla ice cream is an added bonus!
The Cookvalinkenmore Malott, WA
- Not added to any groups yet!