Vintage SpeculaasFrom jo_jo_ba 1 year ago
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 cup rye or whole wheat flour shopping list
- 1 tbsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger shopping list
- 1/4 tsp allspice shopping list
- 1/4 tsp cloves shopping list
- 1/4 tsp white pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp cardamom shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp baker's ammonia shopping list
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 1/2 cup lard (or shortening, if you can't find decent lard or are weirded out by it) shopping list
- 1/2 cup fine sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar shopping list
- 2 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 tbsp coarse sanding sugar for topping shopping list
How to make it
- In a bowl whisk together flours, spices, baker's ammonia and salt.
- In a large separate bowl, cream together butter, lard, and sugars. Add the vanilla extract.
- Gradually blend the flour mixture into the butter mixture until it is well combined.
- Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough to 1/8"-thickness.
- You can bake this as a large sheet of cookie, scored (like scones) to cut later, or, you can use cookie cutters to make cookie shapes.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- For a solid sheet of dough, bake for 20-25 minutes, then break shapes along the scored lines. For shapes from raw dough, place dough shapes onto parchment paper and bake for 12-15 minutes, until crisp.
- Cool on the sheets on a rack.
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
Eggless Cooking Egg Substitues50 members
Holiday Cookie Swappers221 members
Unusual Combinations82 members
Pass Down Recipes311 members
All Holidays135 members
Nut Free5 members
Bake Sale125 members
The Holiday Dessert Table123 members
Tried And True Recipes38 members
Home Cooking56 members