Shepherd's PieFrom PongoUSA 5 months ago
- 2 lb ground lamb or beef ( 80/20 ) shopping list
- 2 tb olive opil shopping list
- 1 onion, diced shopping list
- 3 lb carrots, finely shredded ( I use the Cuisinart ) shopping list
- S+P shopping list
- 2 tb cumin shopping list
- 3 tb tomato paste shopping list
- 5 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks shopping list
- 2 tb butter shopping list
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups milk or heavy cream/milk ( I use 2 % milk ) shopping list
- S+P, nutmeg shopping list
- 1 cups cheese mix, shredded shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a big casserole type pan, set aside. In a large pan, heat olive oil and sear the ground meat, until it falls apart and starts loosing its pinkness. Add onions, cook a couple minutes more. Add carrots and cook, stirring from time to time, more towards the end, for 10 mins or so, until the carrots start to shrink and caramelize a bit. Season with s+p and cumin, add tomato paste and roast for some more minutes. Pour into casserole dish.
- In the meantime, put potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water and 2 tb salt and bring to a boil. Turn back heat and simmer, until tender. Strain potatoes, put back into the pot and let dry for some minutes. Mash with a potato ricer, adding water and as much milk, so you get a not to soft consistency. Season with s+p and nutmeg. Put potatoes over meat mixture, spread evenly and, using a fork, sratch a crisscross pattern in the surface. Sprinkle the cheese over it and bake for about 45 min., until cheese is nicely melted and brown. Let rest for 10 min., before serving. Serve with a green salad made with a vinegary dressing.
The CookPongoUSA San Francisco Peninsula, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!