The Ultimate Bread PudingFrom efitobx 3 years ago
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups day old bread and Danish shopping list
- A handful of sweetened coconut shopping list
- A handful of raisins (plumped in water or bourbon) shopping list
- A handful of chocolate chips shopping list
- Cream Sauce shopping list
- ½ cup sugar shopping list
- 4 eggs plus 2 yolks shopping list
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- dash nutmeg shopping list
- ½ teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- 3 cups heavy cream or ‘half and half’ shopping list
- bourbon Sauce shopping list
- 2 cups heavy cream or ‘half and half’ shopping list
- 1-cup sugar shopping list
- 3 egg yolks (lightly beaten) shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons – ¼ cup bourbon (depending on how strong you like it) optional shopping list
How to make it
- Break up a combination of bread, Danish, croissants, etc. in a 2-½ qt. greased, casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, whip sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla until fluffy. Add cream and blend well. ( if it’s all unsweetened rolls or bread you are using. I use heavy cream)
- Pour Cream Sauce onto bread and let soak 30 to 45 minutes. Bake at 350º approximately 25 minutes.Fold over and bake an additional 30 minutes or until set. Let sit about 20 minutes before serving.
- Bourbon Sauce
- Combine cream and sugar and heat. When hot, stir a bit into egg yolks.
- Add yolks to cream in pan. Cook until ALMOST boiling (do not boil). The sauce should be thick and coat a metal spoon. Pour through a sieve to remove any small lumps.
- Stir in bourbon, if desired. This sauce, without bourbon, is delicious as well.
- Top with Bourbon Sauce or whipped cream.
- Refrigerate leftovers and micro-heat to reserve.
The Cookefitobx Norfolk, VA
- Not added to any groups yet!