Baked Latkes - A Lowfat Alternative To Fried LatkesFrom twohot 2 years ago
- Ingredients for Baked Latkes: shopping list
- 4-6 tsp. olive oil, divided shopping list
- 4-5 medium Idaho, russet, Yukon Gold or red new potatoes (2 lb./1 kg.) shopping list
- 1 medium onion shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, if desired (or 1/8 tsp. garlic powder) shopping list
- 1 tbsp. fresh dill (or 1 tsp. dried dill), if desired shopping list
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1/4 cup flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare two large baking sheets. non-stick cooking spray. In addition, brush surface of each baking sheet with 1-2 tsp. of oil so that latkes will cook up crispy and golden brown.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. (I have prepared these at 400 degrees F because my oven is very 'hot')
- You can prepare Baked Latkes by grating the potatoes by hand
- Drain excess liquid from potatoes.
- add onions and garlic to a food processor. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. add 2 tsp of olive oil to Latkes
- Drop potato mixture by rounded ice cream scoop onto prepared baking sheets. For mini-latkes, use a teaspoon. Flatten with back of spoon, slightly, so that latkes will be cooked through
- Bake uncovered for about 10 minutes - bottoms should be browned and crisp. Turn latkes over and bake for another 8-10 minutes. If you are worried about browning on the second side, give pan another 'brushing' with a thin coat of oil and then lay latkes back down. Keep an eye on the latkes as they bake to avoid overcooking - crisp and golden brown is what you want.
- Serve right away or store covered to reheat the next day at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
The Cooktwohot Montreal, CANDADA
- Not added to any groups yet!