Scheiterhaufen ( Apple Bread Pudding )From PongoUSA 4 years ago
- butter for the dish shopping list
- 250 g day old french bread, sliced into 1/4 inch slices shopping list
- 4 apples, like Braeburn shopping list
- 1 tablesp. superfine sugar shopping list
- 1 pinch cinnamon shopping list
- 1 tablesp. slivered almonds shopping list
- 250 ml milk shopping list
- 125 ml heavy cream shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 1 ts vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 pinch salt shopping list
- powdered sugar shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Prep apples : peel them, quarter and cut out the core. Slice 3 apples lengthwise into thin slivers, the 4th one into small cubes. Put apples slices and cubes each in a bowl, mix each with some sugar and cinnamon. Butter a 9*13 glass dish and layer with half of the bread slices.
- 2. Mix slivered almonds with the apple slices, spread over breadslices. Layer 2nd half of breadslices over apples. Mix together milk, heavy cream, eggs, vanilla and salt, pour slowly over the breadslices and sprinkle with cubed apples.
- 3. Let sit for 5 min., than bake at 400 F ( 190 C ) 30 to 40 min., until the bread on top lightly browned and crispy.
- 4.Take out of oven, let rest for 5 min., portion onto plates and dust with powdered sugar. Serve warm with vanilla sauce at the side.