Tomato, Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese PizzettasFrom luisascatering 3 years ago
- 1 package of puff pastry (included 2 sheets), defrosted ahead of time in the refrigerator (I made my own) shopping list
- caramelized Onions: shopping list
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed shopping list
- 3-4 tbsp balsamic vinegar shopping list
- a few sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- salt, pepper and granulated sugar, to taste shopping list
- ~ shopping list
- 4 oz peppered goat cheese shopping list
- 1 tbsp herbes de provence shopping list
- 6 campari or roma tomatoes, very thinly sliced rounds shopping list
- fresh small basil leaves shopping list
- 1/4 cup freshly shaved parmesan, using a peeler shopping list
- fresh ground pink salt and black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of good olive oil over low heat and sauté the onions and garlic until cooked down and all the moisture has been cooked off, approximately 15 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Add the balsamic, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper and cook an additional 10-15 minutes, until nicely caramelized. Remove from the heat and remove thyme stems. Use immediately or store in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble.
- While the onion mixture is cooking. Stir together the goat cheese and herbes de provence in a small bowl until just combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Unfold the first sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Roll out the 8 inch square puff pastry until approximately 11 inches. Using a glass or small round cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as you can and discard the scraps. Repeat with the second puff pastry.
- Using a smaller biscuit cutter, score a border around each pastry circle and prick the center of the circle with a fork See Photo. Make sure you do this step and prick hard enough because otherwise your pizzettas will completely puff up and kick off all the ingredients. Use immediately or layer in a dish with parchment, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 6. When you are ready to bake, place caramelized onion on each circle, being sure to stay inside the scored border. Top with a few crumbles of goat cheese, followed by slice/slices of tomato. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Top with a few pieces of the shaved parm and basil leaves. Serve room or room temp.