Corn DogsFrom champagnetime 1 year ago
- 1 lb. hot dogs shopping list
- 4 cups corn oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup cornmeal shopping list
- 1 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. sugar shopping list
- 1 T. vegetable shortening shopping list
- 1/3 cup milk (you might need 1 to 2 T. more of milk to thin) shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 8 wooden chop sticks shopping list
- Good mustard shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring 3 cups of water to boiling in a large saucepan. Add hot dogs and bring back to boiling. Remove from heat; cover 20 minutes.
- Pour 2” of oil into a deep skillet and heat to 375°F.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, sugar in a bowl, mixing together well. Add the shortening and cut into the flour with two knives or a pastry blender until the size of small peas.
- Combine the milk and egg and add the flour/cornmeal mixture to it; mix well, adding additional milk 1 T. at a time to achieve the consistency of a thick pancake batter. Pour batter into a tall glass or a shallow bowl which allows you to roll the hot dog in the batter.
- Remove hot dogs from the water and pat dry with paper towels. Insert a chop stick into the hot dog, at least half the length of the hot dog.
- Dip the hot dog into the batter letting excess batter drip back into the container. With the back edge of a table knife, scrape the battered hot dog off the chop stick into the hot oil, very carefully, and fry for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown, turning to cook each side. Cook two at a time so the oil does not cool off too much.
- Drain the corn dogs on a rack set over a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven as you cook the remaining corn dogs.
- Reinsert a chop stick into each corn dog as it keeps warm in the oven.
- Slather the corndogs in your favorite mustard. 8 corn dogs.
- CJ’s tip: to give the corn dogs a little zip add a couple shakes of Tabasco to the batter.
- a Chef's Journey recipe