Felafel BallsFrom midgelet 2 years ago
- 1/2 lb Dried chickpeas ( about a cup dry ) shopping list
- 1 lg garlic clove or more if desired shopping list
- 1 lg onion shopping list
- 1 ts cumin or to taste shopping list
- 1 ts Corriander ( cilantro ) or to taste shopping list
- 6 Sprigs fresh parsley or other fresh herbs( use leaves not stems ) shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1/2 ts baking powder shopping list
- Optional binders: enough flour- add a little at a time gradually to mixture shopping list
- or enough bulghur wheat which has been pre soaked in water and drained so as to thicken mixture when shaped into balls shopping list
- oil to deep fry shopping list
How to make it
- Cover dried peas with water and let soak overnight.
- Put in a food processor with the onion,garlic and spices, baking powder etc.
- Blend to a puree.
- Add some flour or bulghur wheat so mixture can easily stick togerther when shaped with wet hands and formed into balls the size of a
- Roll in some flour to coat and then deep fry in hot oil till ( 350-375 F ) golden.
- Drain on toweling paper
- Serve with a hummus or salsa dip in fresh pita bread and accompany with a fresh sliced tomato salad
- Note: do not use canned chickpeas with this recipe.
- Note: felafel also may be shaped into patties/burgers and pan fried instead.