Italian Pasta SauceFrom shandy 3 years ago
- Prepared Meatball recipe for Parmesan meatballs (posted) shopping list
- olive oil (about 3 T.) shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped shopping list
- 1-2 bay leaves (depends on size of the leaf you have) shopping list
- 1 T. dried oregano (rub with fingers to release oils) shopping list
- 1 T. dried basil (rub with fingers to release oils) shopping list
- 1 t. salt, or to taste shopping list
- 1 t. freshly ground pepper, or to taste shopping list
- 1 t. crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste shopping list
- 1/3-1/2 c. dry red wine shopping list
- 2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes (I use crushed tomatoes with basil) shopping list
- 2 (28 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, drained shopping list
- 1 T. sugar (to be added in the last 30 minutes of cooking time) shopping list
How to make it
- *Prepare the meatball recipe as directed on the recipe; transfer to a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- * Drain the diced tomatoes over a strainer.
- *Add the 3 T. Olive Oil to a heavy-bottomed pot and heat over medium heat.
- *Saute onion with bay leaf, oregano, basil, salt, black pepper, and crushed chili peppers for about 5-7 minutes or until the onions are transparent.
- *Add in fresh garlic; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- *Add the tomato paste; mix and stir for about 2 minutes or until well combined with the onion mixture.
- *Add in the wine; stir well to combine.
- *Add the 2 cans crushed tomatoes and the drained diced tomatoes, stir and bring to a light boil; boil for 5-8 minutes then reduce heat to low.
- *Add in uncooked meatballs to the sauce (if you are adding the meatballs uncooked, do not stir for 30 minutes or you may run the risk of the meatballs falling apart in the simmering sauce).
- *Simmer uncovered on low heat for about 3-5 hours (the longer you simmer uncovered the thicker and richer your sauce will be so don't be afraid to simmer even 6 hours!)
- *Skim off any fat that might gather on top of sauce.
- *Allow to cool to room temperature then refrigerate (with the meatballs in sauce).
- *NOTE: IF desired, you can bake the meatballs in the oven before adding to the sauce.
The Cookshandy Port Orchard, WA
- Not added to any groups yet!