Tomato KasundiFrom jo_jo_ba 3 years ago
- 2 oz fresh ginger (about ¼-⅓ cup), peeled and chopped roughly shopping list
- 1 ½ oz garlic (about 5 cloves), peeled shopping list
- 2 thai chile or serrano pepper, chopped shopping list
- 10 ½ oz fresh tomatoes, chopped (peel and seed if desired) shopping list
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil shopping list
- 1 ½ tbsp black or brown mustard seeds shopping list
- 1 tsp turmeric shopping list
- ¼ tsp coarsely crushed black pepper shopping list
- 1 ½ tbsp cumin shopping list
- 1 tsp kosher salt shopping list
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1 ½ tbsp blackstrap molasses shopping list
How to make it
- In a food processor, combine the ginger, garlic and pepper and puree to a paste. Place into a bowl and set aside.
- Add half the tomatoes to the food processor and puree. Set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pot and add the mustard seeds, turmeric, black pepper and cumin. Toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pasted mixture to the pot and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1 ½ hours, until thick.
- Can in a waterbath for 30 minutes or spoon into jars and keep in the fridge up to 3 months.
- Let sit at least 1 month before using.