Middle Eastern Rice PilafFrom hollyeats 7 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain (not parboiled) rice shopping list
- 2 Tbs olive oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, crushed shopping list
- A 1-in. piece fresh ginger, grated OR 1 scant tsp. powdered shopping list
- 1" piece cinnamon stick shopping list
- 4 C water (if not making for vegetarians, use chicken or beef broth) shopping list
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, or dark if that's all you have shopping list
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted shopping list
How to make it
- In heavy-bottomed skillet, heat oil and sauté onion, garlic and carrots until softened.
- Add rice and stir until rice is coated with oil, cook about 2 minutes.
- Add water or broth and remaining seasonings, but not the raisins or almonds.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes or until all moisture has evaporated and rice is done.
- Before serving, stir in the raisins and almonds.
The Cookhollyeats Shaftesbury, UK
- Not added to any groups yet!