Beef Barley StewFrom coffeebean53 9 years ago
- 2 TB canola oil shopping list
- 1 lb. beef chuck, cut into 1" cubes shopping list
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced shopping list
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 1/2" pieces shopping list
- 2 1/4 cup beef stock shopping list
- 1 (8oz) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp. chili powder shopping list
- 1 tsp. ground allspice shopping list
- 1 tsp. kosher salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup uncooked barley shopping list
How to make it
- In a 4-5 quart pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and brown on at least 2 sides. Remove to a plate.
- Add onions, carrots and celery to the pot drippings, cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add beef stock, tomatoes, chili powder, allspice and salt. Stir to break up tomatoes and scrape up browned bits.
- Bring to a boil, return beef to the pot. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 1/4 hours. Stirring once or twice.
- Stir in barley. Cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring once or twice and adding more water as needed until meat and barley are tender.