Egg-fried rice with chicken and prawnsFrom kerrymarie 5 years ago
- 200g pure basmati rice, rinsed shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce shopping list
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce shopping list
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil shopping list
- 1 and a 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds shopping list
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil shopping list
- 1 free-range chicken breast, cut into 2cm cubes shopping list
- 130g raw peeled king prawns shopping list
- 50g mangetout, cut in half shopping list
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced shopping list
- 3 spring onions, sliced shopping list
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled and crushed shopping list
- 20g knob of fresh ginger, peeled and grated shopping list
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten shopping list
- 2 handfuls of roughly chopped coriander shopping list
How to make it
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the basmati rice, stir once, and bring back to the boil.
- When the rice comes to the boil, it will appear to be 'dancing in the water' and this is when the timer should be started and the rice boiled for eight minutes or until al dente.
- Place the rice in a sieve, cover with a sheet of kitchen towel and allow to stand for five minutes to absorb any excess water.
- Meanwhile, mix the sweet chilli sauce together with the soy sauce and the toasted sesame oil and set aside.
- Heat a wok over a high heat until nearly smoking. Add the sesame seeds and stir-fry for 30 seconds until browned, then remove.
- Add the oil and swirl around the wok to heat through. Stir-fry the chicken for one minute before adding the prawns and cooking for another 1 and a 1/2 minutes. Remove and place in another sieve for any excess oil to drain away.
- To the wok, add the mangetout and red pepper with two tablespoons of water, and stir-fry for 1 and a 1/2 minutes with a lid on if you have one.
- Add the basmati rice, spring onion, garlic and ginger and stir-fry for a further two minutes.
- Move the rice to the side of the wok and pour the egg onto the base of the wok. The egg should be in quite large pieces, so resist the temptation to mix it in too soon.
- Leave for 30 seconds to set a little before stirring through the rice with the chicken, prawns, two-thirds of the coriander, the sauce and the sesame seeds.
- Toss to mix everything thoroughly and serve immediately. Sprinkle with the remaining coriander.
The Cookkerrymarie Somerset, GB
- Not added to any groups yet!