Traditional MolFrom grizzlybear 8 years ago
- 12 guajillo chilies, roasted, skinned, stemmed and seeded shopping list
- 3 tomatoes, roasted and peeled shopping list
- 1/4 cup lard shopping list
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced shopping list
- 8 garlic cloves shopping list
- 1 stick of cinnamon torn into small pieces shopping list
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano shopping list
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts or unsweetened peanut butter shopping list
- 1 clove shopping list
- 1/4 cup masa shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds shopping list
- 1/4 cup raisins, soaked in water to soften (optional) shopping list
- 3 peppercorns shopping list
- 4 cups chicken broth shopping list
How to make it
- Note: The traditional way is to mash all of the ingredients except the broth, with a molcajete (mortar and pestle) but a blender will also do the job just fine.
- Heat the lard in a large saucepan. Add in the onions and garlic and cook until translucent. In a blender, puree the peanuts then add in the oregano, cinnamon, anise, peppercorns, thyme and cloves and blend with the tomatoes. Puree to make a smooth paste. Add in the onions and garlic and puree again. Finally, add chilies to blender to puree into a smooth paste.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot and add the pureed ingredients. Make a roux, by mixing the masa with a 1/4 cup of the chicken broth. Mix the roux into the broth and whisk until mixture is smooth. Add the pureed ingredients and simmer for 1 hour, covered and then simmer uncovered until sauce has thickened.
The Cookgrizzlybear CA
- Not added to any groups yet!