Chili Cheese DogsFrom pinkpasta 8 years ago
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 pound lean ground beef shopping list
- 1 cup ketchup shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chili powder shopping list
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 4 all beef hot dogs, about 1/2 pound shopping list
- 4 hot dog buns shopping list
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese shopping list
How to make it
- To make the chili:
- Heat a skillet over medium flame and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil gets hazy, add the onion and cook, stirring, until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef, breaking it up with the back of a spoon, and cook until nicely browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in the ketchup, chili powder, and mustard; simmer for 15 minutes until thick; season with salt and pepper.
- For the hot dogs:
- While the chili is cooking, place a large grill pan on 2 burners over medium-high heat or preheat an outdoor gas or charcoal barbecue grill and get it very hot. Brush the grates with oil to keep the hot dogs from sticking. Parboil the dogs first before grilling; bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the hot dogs for about 5 minutes. Remove from the water and grill the hot dogs just long enough to give them grill marks. Brush the insides of the buns with the remaining oil and place them face down on the rill until toasty. To serve, top each hot dog with the chili and some Chedar Cheese.