Linguine with Lemon Walnut PestoFrom tinam 5 years ago
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest, minced shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1/4 cup fruity extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1 pound linguine - preferred type of pasta, i.e. penne shopping list
- Lemon balm (optional) shopping list
- Substitution tips: almonds and pecans both work nicely in place of the walnuts. lemon thyme is a good substitute if lemon balm is not available. shopping list
How to make it
- To toast the walnuts, spread them on a cookie sheet in a single layer and place in a 350-degree-F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until the nuts are golden and slightly fragrant.
- In a food processor, combine the walnuts, lemon zest and red pepper flakes, pulsing until finely chopped. With the machine running, add the oil in a steady stream, pulsing until a coarse paste forms. Transfer to a large bowl, stir in the lemon juice and season with salt. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain well, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Add the pasta to the pesto and toss, adding some of the reserved pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if the pasta seems dry. Toss until mixed well.
- To serve, divide the pasta among large bowls and sprinkle with some shredded fresh lemon balm, if desired.
- Recipe from ivillagefood