Roasted Onions with Herbed Cheese StuffingFrom scearley 8 years ago
- 6 sweet onions (Walla Walla is best), slightly larger than a baseball shopping list
- 1/4 c +1 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic shopping list
- 1/2 c dry sherry shopping list
- 3 c diced French bread shopping list
- 1 c vegetable stock shopping list
- 1/4 c diced sundried tomatoes shopping list
- 1/2 c freshly grated gouda cheese shopping list
- 1/2 c freshly grated Parmesean cheese shopping list
- 2 tsp chopped fresh basil shopping list
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme shopping list
- salt/pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 325
- Slice the tops off of the onions, cut part of the bottoms off (so they will sit flat), and peel them.
- Place the onions on a rack in a roasting pan and drizzle with 1/4c olive oil. Bake until the onions are tender when pierced, about 90 minutes.
- Remove the onions from the oven and let cool. Pull the centers out of the onions by pushing from the bottom and pulling at the other end. You should leave at least 3 layers of onion in the 'cups'.
- Dice the reserved centers of th eonions, and heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a sautee pan on high heat until very hot. Add the diced onions and cook about 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the garlic and sautee for about a minute.
- Add the sherry and reduce to half, then remove the pan from heat and allow to cool.
- Heat the oven to 350
- In a bowl, toss the diced bread with the onion mix .
- Add enough stock to moisten the bread and mix well.
- Add the tomatoes, cheeses, basil, and thyme, and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Stuff each onion with a full half cup of the bread stuffing.
- Place onions on a rack in a roasting pan and bake until heated through - about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.