Grilled BurritosFrom magnoliasouth 8 years ago
- 1 lb. chicken or beef (about 2-3 c. cooked) shopping list
- ½ c. taco sauce shopping list
- 1 c. salsa, 1st use shopping list
- 1 c. rice, cooked shopping list
- 1 c. beans, cooked and drained (you can use refried, black or kidney beans) shopping list
- 1 c. cheese, shredded (about ¼ lb.) shopping list
- 8 large flour tortillas (thicker are best for freezing) shopping list
- 2 tbs. oil shopping list
- 1 c. sour cream shopping list
- 1 c. salsa, 2nd use shopping list
How to make it
- Brown beef or chicken (I also use freshly chopped onions and garlic when browning, but that is optional), drain.
- Add taco sauce, and 1st use salsa (if salsa is watery, you may wish to drain it a bit before adding, or boil out the water first), to meat mixture; heat through.
- To assemble, scoop about 3 tbs. of meat mixture, and 2 tbs. each of rice, beans and cheese onto each tortilla.
- I use a burrito folding guide found here: http://billgrady.com/wp/2002/11/14/how-to-wrap-a-burrito/ but I modify it by folding both ends. If you're not freezing, skip the next step.
- If you're freezing the burritos, mix together 2 tbs. cornstarch with 2 tsp. cold water. Using your finger, spread a thin layer along the final flap of the burrito. Allow to cool then wrap with wax paper, flash freeze, and store in a freezer bag. To use thaw, slightly reheat (I remove the wrapping, wrap each with cheese cloth and a damp paper towel, then reheat in the microwave - the cheesecloth helps the paper towel not to stick and the damp paper towel helps keep the tortillas from drying out) and continue these instructions.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet. Place the burritos in the pan and cook until golden brown on all sides.
- Top each with about 2 tbs. each of 2nd use salsa and sour cream.
- Optionally you can add both a health boost and stretch your food dollar, by also adding grilled vegetables or even substituting grilled vegetables for the beef or chicken.
- NOTE: My cook time is not really that accurate, since I make 24 at a time.
The Cookmagnoliasouth Mobile, AL
The Rating1 people
I was looking for a perfect burrito recipe for tonight, and this is the first one I looked at! I can't wait to try them!janabeth in Grand Forks loved it
I made this last night with very little variation. Even my picky children cleaned their plates! Great recipe! Thanks!janabeth in Grand Forks loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!