Deep Dish Apple PieFrom lesliegw 7 years ago
- 3 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 pounds granny smith apples, sliced 1/2-inch thick shopping list
- 2 pounds macintosh apples, sliced 1/2-inch thick shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed shopping list
- 1 lemon, juiced shopping list
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- Pinch ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup pecan pieces shopping list
- 2 deep-dish pie crusts (frozen section of grocery). ** shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- 4 ounces Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar, grated shopping list
- 8 scoops vanilla ice cream shopping list
- **I'm not a baker, so I don't make my own crust, but you can certainly do so. You can also use the dough that comes in a roll in the refrigerated section of your grocery and roll out your own.) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saute pan, melt the butter. Add the apples and saute for 2 minutes. Add the sugars, lemon juice and flour. Continue to saute for 2 minutes. Season the apples with nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Mix thoroughly and remove from the heat. Mix in the pecans. Cool the mixture.
- Spoon the apples into the pie shell. Roll out your second pie shell into a flat round. Place the round of dough over the apples. Using a sharp knife cut away the excess dough. Using your fingers, crimp the edges of the pie firmly to seal the dough completely. With the same sharp knife, make 3 slits, about 4 inches long and 2 inches apart, across the pie dough. Brush with the beaten egg, place the pie in the oven, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Return the pie to the oven and continue to cook for 8 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. Let cool to room temperature before slicing, about 1 hour. Serve with vanilla ice cream.