Frijoles A La CharraFrom oldgringo 9 years ago
- 1 pound dried pinto beans; picked, rinsed & hydrated shopping list
- 8 cups water; to cover 2-inches shopping list
- 2 ounce cured salt pork, rinsed & scored shopping list
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped coarsely shopping list
- 2 each garlic, cloves; minced shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt; * See Note shopping list
- 3 each slices of smoked bacon, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 2 each tomatoes; peeled, seeded, chopped shopping list
- 3 each chiles, fresh serrano; sliced crosswise shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves; chopped coarsely shopping list
How to make it
- Wash all the salt off of the salt pork. Add salt pork, onion and garlic .
- Adjust water level. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer
- covered until beans are tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Add the salt and adjust the seasoning if necessary, and cook the beans, uncovered, for another 15 minutes.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon gently until it is slightly browned.
- Add the diced tomato meats with their juice, and stir in the chiles and cilantro.
- Cook the tomato mixture over a fairly high heat for about 8 minutes, until it has thickened.
- Add the tomato mixture to the beans and cook uncovered, over low heat for about 15 minutes. Serve in small individual bowls. as a soup.
- * Note: Adding salt early in cooking the beans will prevent the beans from being tender.