Sugar topped Apple Pie Betty CrockerFrom shirleyoma 7 years ago
- Pastry shopping list
- 2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening shopping list
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water shopping list
- Filling shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
- Dash salt shopping list
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (6 medium) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, if desired shopping list
- Topping shopping list
- 1 tablespoon water shopping list
- 1 tablespoon sugar shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Heat oven to 425°F. In medium bowl, mix 2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
- 2. Gather pastry into a ball. Divide pastry in half; shape each half into flattened round on lightly floured surface. Wrap flattened rounds of pastry in plastic wrap; refrigerate about 45 minutes or until firm and cold, yet pliable.
- 3. On lightly floured surface, roll 1 round of pastry into circle 2 inches larger than upside-down 9-inch glass pie plate, using floured rolling pin. Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
- 4. In large bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, the cinnamon, nutmeg and dash of salt. Stir in apples. Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate. Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over apples. Trim overhanging edge of bottom pastry 1/2 inch from rim of plate.
- 5. Roll other round of pastry. Fold pastry into fourths and cut slits so steam can escape; place over filling and unfold. Trim overhanging edge of top pastry 1 inch from rim of plate. Fold and roll top edge under lower edge, pressing on rim to seal; flute. Brush top crust with 1 tablespoon water; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- 6. Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
- Nutrition Information:
- 1 Serving: Calories 410 (Calories from Fat 190); Total Fat 21g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 3 1/2g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 310mg; Total Carbohydrate 52g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 23g); Protein 4g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 0%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1/2 Fruit; 2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 4 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 3 1/2
- *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
The Cookshirleyoma Cove, OR
The Rating1 people
picture looks delicous know the recipe is love apple pie thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it