Old-fashioned baked cheese gritsFrom jaie 7 years ago
- 2 tablespoons + extra for greasing dish, unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped shopping list
- 3 cups water shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1 teaspoon Frank's® hot sauce or Tabasco® sauce shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons old-fashioned grits shopping list
- 1 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded shopping list
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
How to make it
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middl position.
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Grease an 11x7-inch baking dish with butter, start with 1 teaspoon.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons butter until foaming subsides.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add water, cream, hot sauce and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Whisk in grits and reduce heat to low.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy. About 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1-1/2 cups cheese, egg and pepper to taste.
- Pour mixture into greased baking dish and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and continue baking until top is browned, about 15 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes and serve.