Basic Seafood BrothFrom oldgringo 9 years ago
- 8 cups water; * See Note shopping list
- 1 teaspoon olive oil shopping list
- 1 lb seafood shells, bones and pieces; ** See note shopping list
- 1/4 cup onion; chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup carrots; chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup celery; chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon parsley shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 6 whole black peppercorns shopping list
- 1 dried bay leaf shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves shopping list
How to make it
- * Note: This can include any portion of oyster or clam water or fish stock or shrimp stock.
- ** Note: This may be any combination of fish bones, pieces of white fish, shrimp heads, shrimp shells or pieces of shrimp, or crab shells or pieces of crab.
- Place the seafood shells, bones and/or pieces in the water; add the other ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes. The oil should help prevent excessive foaming and boiling-over; but watch carefully.
- Strain hot broth into a quart jars, seal and refrigerate until needed.