Als Dutch Oven Chicken SurpriseFrom al 6 years ago
- 8 to 10 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or equivalent chicken tenders) shopping list
- 12 to 14 Medium potatoes ( sliced - peel if you like) shopping list
- 2 medium course chopped onions (sweet ones) shopping list
- 1 lb baby-cut carrots shopping list
- 2 cans evaporated milk shopping list
- 2 sticks butter shopping list
- 1cup flour shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- 1 #12 Dutch Oven shopping list
- 22 to 26 Charcoal Briquettes shopping list
- An oven or Gas grill set to 325 degrees will also cook this dish. shopping list
How to make it
- Place flour in a large zip lock bag and season with salt & pepper (add season all if you like)
- Beat eggs and then dip chicken pieces to coat (chicken the size of tenders is best)
- Place egg coated chicken pieces in zip lock bag and coat evenly with flour
- Heat a 12" deep Dutch oven using 18-20 briquettes bottom until hot add 1 stick butter. ( margarine changes flavor)
- Fry chicken until golden & crispy.
- Remove chicken from dutch oven
- Layer potatoes, onions, carrots and then chicken (sprinkle a small amount of flour mixture on chicken. Layer at least twice then place remaining potatoes on top - Salt and pepper each layer of vegetables to taste.
- Cover and cook for 45-60 minutes using 8-10 briquettes on the bottom, and 14-16 briquettes on lid of dutch oven.
- When potatoes are done, firm not mushy , cut remaining butter stick into pats and melt on top of last potato layer.
- Add 2 cans of evaporated milk.
- Place back on heat and let milk turn to gravy, stir easy don't mush potatoes, ( gravy will thicken as dish cools.)
- Remove from heat and enjoy