Homemade Chicken Pot PieFrom jesuslincoln 9 years ago
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- 4 chicken breast halves, or 2 cups leftover cooked chicken shopping list
- seasoned salt and pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil shopping list
- 1/3 cup butter shopping list
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 quart heavy cream shopping list
- 1/4 cup chicken base shopping list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic shopping list
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced shopping list
- 1 cup frozen green peas, cooked shopping list
- 1 cup chopped cooked carrots shopping list
- Pinch fresh grated nutmeg, optional shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut each sheet of frozen puff pastry into 1-inch strips, 8 inches long. On a large cookie sheet, weave strips into a lattice large enough to cover each pot pie. Brush beaten egg onto each lattice square. Bake for 5 minutes, or until dough has risen and turned light golden brown. Set aside until ready to assemble pies. Leave oven on at 350 degrees F.
- Season chicken with seasoned salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through. Remove from heat and cut into chunks. Alternatively, you may use precooked chicken.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and then slowly add flour, stirring until consistency of peanut butter, but not brown like a roux. Slowly add cream and keep stirring. Add chicken base, garlic, and onion and stir until thickened. Add peas, carrots, nutmeg, if using, and cut up chicken. Remove from heat. Fill 4 individual oven-proof bowls with chicken mixture and then top each with a pre-cooked lattice square. Bake for 5 minutes or until bubbly. Any remaining pie filling may be frozen.