Cinnamon Pickles aka Red Hots PicklesFrom julesong 7 years ago
- 2 gallons prepared cucumbers, peeled,ends removed,cored and cut into rings or sticks (measure after slicing) shopping list
- 8 1/2 quarts water shopping list
- 2 cups pickling lime shopping list
- 1 tablespoon alum shopping list
- 2 cups vinegar shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 1 1/2 ounces red food coloring shopping list
- 10 cups sugar shopping list
- 6 cinnamon sticks shopping list
- 8 to 10 ounces red cinnamon candies shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare the cucumbers: peel, removed ends, core, and cut into rings or sticks.
- Combine water and lime.
- Soak prepared cucumbers in lime-water for 24 hours.
- Drain and wash 3 times in cold water.
- Cover with cold water and let sit for 3 hours.
- Combine alum, vinegar, 2 cups water, food coloring, sugar, cinnamon and red hots to make a syrup.
- Add drained cucumbers and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Let stand overnight.
- Drain off syrup, reheat and pour over pickles daily for 3 days.
- Pack in hot jars and seal.