Orange Lemon TorteFrom mystic_river1 6 years ago
- Torta di Limone e Arancia shopping list
- lemon and orange cake shopping list
- Ingredients: shopping list
- 4 medium oranges shopping list
- 1 unwaxed lemon shopping list
- 6 oz (175 grams) superfine sugar shopping list
- 6 eggs, separated shopping list
- 8 oz (225 grams) ground almonds shopping list
- icing sugar, for dusting shopping list
- mascarpone cheese, to serve shopping list
How to make it
- Put the whole oranges and lemon in a heavy-based saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours, topping up with water if necessary.
- Drain and leave to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325?F (170?C).
- Grease and line a 9 inch (23 cm) round cake tin.
- Cut the fruits in half and discard any seeds.
- Put the fruit, in batches, in a food processor and blend with the sugar to form a puree.
- Put the puree in a large bowl and, using a hand mixer, beat in the egg yolks and almonds.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not too dry, then fold into the fruit mixture.
- Gently spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and carefully level the surface.
- Bake in the oven for 1 and 1/2 hours until golden, firm to the touch, and a skewer, when inserted into the center, comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Dust with sifted confectioners sugar before serving with mascarpone cheese.