Beef Pot Pie with Polenta CrustFrom lpg 9 years ago
- 2# beef, in 1" cubes shopping list
- 1/2 C flour, seasoned with salt and pepper shopping list
- 1/4 C olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 C onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 Q beef stock shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 3 medium boiling potatoes cut into 1/4" rounds shopping list
- 4 medium carrots cut into 1/4" rounds shopping list
- 1/2 C peas shopping list
- 2 C flour shopping list
- 2/3 C medium grind yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 1 t baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 t salt shopping list
- 12 T cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 egg yolk shopping list
- 1 T ice water shopping list
How to make it
- Pat beef cubes dry, and dredge in seasoned flour.
- Brown beef in heavy 4 Q casserole using the olive oil.
- In the same pan, add the onions and saute until soft.
- Add stock and bring to a boil, scraping the pan bottom and sides.
- Add beef, and bay leaf, reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, carrots and peas. Partially cover pan and simmer 20-30 minutes longer until vegetables are tender. Add water if the liquid seems to be cooking away too fast.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- To make the crust, combine the flour, corn meal, baking powder and salt in a food processor. Process to mix.
- Add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Add the egg, yolk and water. Pulse until the dough comes together but is still a little crumbly. Add a few drops of water if it seems too dry but don't over-process or it will be tough.
- Turn the dough out and work into a ball.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll dough to fit the casserole, using the cover as a size guide.
- Place dough over mixture in casserole.
- Bake in 350 oven until crust is brown and stew is bubbling.
The Cooklpg Fairmount, GA
- Not added to any groups yet!