Halloween PopcornFrom annieamie 9 years ago
- 5 to 6 cups freshly popped popcorn shopping list
- 1 tablespoon butter (not margarine) shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- food coloring of choice shopping list
- (Make a few batches and use different colors for each batch) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Place popcorn in a shallow pan and place in oven to keep warm.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter and add sugar, water and salt; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil about 20 minutes, until syrup just begins to color (about 275 degrees on a candy thermometer; hardball stage).
- Watch syrup carefully once it reaches 250 degrees; it will darken quickly if it gets too hot.
- To test: Syrup should form a firm ball when dropped into cold water.
- Add vanilla and food coloring.
- Stir well.
- Pour in a stream over warm popcorn and quickly stir to coat each piece.
- Pour popcorn onto a sheet of baking parchment paper and separate each kernel. Be careful; syrup will be hot.
- Coating will harden as popcorn cools.
- Store in an airtight container.
- ---------If you want flavored popcorn, try searching for "Jello Flavored Popcorn Recipe" on the internet. Happy Halloween!