Chunky Tomato Garlic SoupFrom legoflamb 7 years ago
- 1 (14 oz) can of chopped tomatoes OR use 1 1/2 cups of fresh tomatoes shopping list
- 1 medium onion, diced shopping list
- 3 medium carrots, diced shopping list
- 1 medium turnip, diced or matchsticks shopping list
- 1 head garlic shopping list
- 1 small handfull (aprox. 3 tbs) white rice shopping list
- 4 tbs olive oil OR use a combination of oil and butter shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups water OR use broth shopping list
- 2 tbs tarragon shopping list
- 1 tbs salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the top off a head of Garlic, wrap it in foil and put in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Put Olive Oil in a pot over a medium flame. Add the Onions, Carrots, Turnips and saute untill the Onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Turn up the flame and pour Tomatoes and Water into the pot. Add the Salt, Pepper and Tarragon, then bring to a boil. Reduce flame and let it continue at a low boil, covered for 45 minutes.
- Remove Garlic from the oven, open the foil and let cool. Use the foil to squeeze out the roasted Garlic into a bowl. Mash with a fork and add to the soup.
- Use a potato masher (or immersion blender) to break up the vegetables. Add rice, cover the pot again and simmer for 15 more minutes.