Cheese Stuffed Bread RoundFrom flavorsofitaly 5 years ago
- 1 round loaf of Italian bread, about 6 inches in diameter shopping list
- 1 cup coarsely shredded mozzarella cheese shopping list
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese shopping list
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped fine shopping list
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped fine shopping list
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or romano cheese shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Place oven rack in middle position in oven, and place a second rack in next lowest position, preheat oven to 400F. Slice 1 inch off the top of the loaf, and set it aside. Scoop out the center of the bread, leaving a 1/2 inch shell, set aside. Cut the scooped out bread into 1 and 1/2 inch cubes.
- Combine Mozzarella and Ricotta cheeses, green and red peppers, Parmesan, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spoon the mixture into the bread shell and replace the top. Wrap bread snugly in foil, then place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 1 hour on middle oven rack.
- Spread the bread cubes on an ungreased baking sheet, place on lower rack, and bake, uncovered, until crisp and golden - about 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the foil, lift off the top, and stir the cheese mixture until creamy. Replace top, tilting it slightly to the side, and place loaf on serving platter. Surround with bread cubes for dipping. Serve immediately.