GLORIFIED BACON AND EGG PIEFrom hooch 8 years ago
- 4 sheets of flaky puff pastry shopping list
- 4 cups grated cheese shopping list
- 10-12 rashes of lean bacon chopped or 6-8 cold barbecue sausages or 2 cups chopped ham pieces shopping list
- 5 spring onions sliced shopping list
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (approx. 250 g) shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley or fresh herbs of your choice shopping list
- 2 cups sliced zucchini or peas, beans, corn etc. (frozen fine) shopping list
- 1 cup chutney or relish, pickle etc. shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- 12 eggs shopping list
How to make it
- Join 4 sheets of pastry together in a big square - I wet the join with water then crimp with a fork to really seal the join. Lay into large non stick pie plate or frypan etc. ( I use a large non stick pan ('Look brand' where the handle can safely go in the oven). Sprinkle with cheese on the bottom -to waterproof pastry.
- Layer up the vegetables, herbs, bacon, cheese, chutney or relish and season as you go. Break eggs over the filling - piercing the yolks (reserving 1/2 a yolk to glaze). Fold edges of pastry over, enclosing the filling completely. Wet the joins and seal using patch work technique with the pastry if needed.
- Whisk the reserved egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of cold water and brush pastry generously with this mixture. Bake at 200°C for 35 minutes until golden and puffed. Turn oven temperature down to 180°C and bake further for 45-50 minutes until risen and golden brown. Cool for about 1 hour in the pan then ease out onto a board. Serve warm or at room temperature, or can be reheated later.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- hooch New Zealand, NZ
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookhooch New Zealand, NZ
- Not added to any groups yet!