Gluten Free Cake BrowniesFrom elsepeth27 6 years ago
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (originally gluten-free margarine) shopping list
- 2/3 cup Granulated sugar shopping list
- A heaping 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (this was originally 1/4 cup, but I found them a little bland the first time I made them, so added some extra cocoa.) shopping list
- 2 Tbsp Potato Starch+ 1-1/2 Tbsp water, mixed until smooth (originally 1 egg white, slightly beaten) shopping list
- 1 Tbsp apple butter (originally 2 tsp mayonnaise) shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 3/4 cup Connie Sarros gluten-free flour Mixture (posted in my recipes, or use your usual gluten-free flour mixture, as long as it has xanthan gum in it. If it doesn't, add 1/2 tsp Xanthan to your dry mixture.) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. gluten free baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (originally skim milk) shopping list
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (originally not in the recipe, but I highly recommend adding them!) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly oil a 9 in square baking pan (I use coconut oil or light olive oil, spray can be used, but I don't cause it has soy in it!)
- Melt the coconut oil (margarine) in a medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar and cocoa.
- Whip in the dissolved potato starch (egg white), apple butter (mayonnaise), and vanilla just until combined.
- Sift together the flour mixture, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Warm the coconut milk in a separate pan and stir in the dry ingredients, heating until warm through, be careful not to start cooking the flour though. (This step is not necessary, but will decrease the grittiness of the rice flour.)
- Stir into the sugar-cocoa mixture until well combined, add chocolate chips (you can also or alternatively add chopped nuts).
- Spread the batter in the greased pan and bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (!!The original recipe calls for only 16-18 minutes, but I found that this altered recipe takes a little longer!!)
- Turn out onto a wire rack and cool. After cooled, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, drizzle with icing, or eat plain!